Monday, October 27, 2008

Belated Free Recipe Friday: Black Bean Hummous


I'm learning to embrace Murphy's Law: anything that can deter you from your goal will happen when you are trying to get something done, up to and including small pygmy warriors breaking into your home and kicking you in the shins.

I'll admit, I exaggerated and penned the last part. The pygmy warriors didn't kick me in the shins. They poked my external hardrive with sticks until it ceased to function.

So, I hope that you can have patience that this recipe is 3 days late, and I pledge my alliances to you when those pygmies come knocking on your door.

The following recipe is vegetarian and is one of the tastiest things ever. I would choose this over a succulent piece of meat anytime, and I'm definitely a "meat-a-tarian." I make it a little thick, so I can spread it on toast. If you want it thinner, then add more olive oil to it.

Please note: This recipe uses canned beans. I usually start with dried beans as they are much cheaper, but I chose to give you this recipe as it is super-fast.

Happy Eating!


BLACK BEAN HUMMOUS
-- serves 6-8 as an appetizer dip
-- prep time: 15 minutes
-- cooking time: 10-15 minutes

Essential Equipment
* Food Processor or Blender

Basic Summary
Using Canned Beans: Rinse and drain the beans, combine all ingredients in food processor and process, enjoy!

Ingredients
* 1 can of garbanzo beans (chick peas, or cici beans)
* 1 can of black beans
* one clove of garlic
* 3 lemons
* 1 1/2 Tbsp Tachina Sauce (or Tahini, which is a Mediterranean Sesame Butter, sort of like peanut butter, but with no sugar. You should be able to find it in the Mediterranean aisle.)
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* salt and pepper to taste

1. Rinse and drain both cans of beans. Place beans in food processor or blender.
2. Peel garlic and add clove to food processor.
3. Squeeze juice from the lemons into a small bowl, so you can make sure you catch any seeds. Pour into food processor or blender.
4. Add Tachina and olive oil and process until smooth.

Serve with veggie crudites, crackers, pitas, with toast. I've even used it when making creative tacos.

Enjoy!

No comments: